Today, we will review the passenger ship manifests, passenger lists and emigrant registers within ArkivDigital. Earlier we have written about these records in a couple of blogs. See blog dated 8 December 2014 and blog dated 12 May 2015.
Passenger ship manifests for emigrants leaving from Göteborg (1869-1951), Malmö (1874-1939) and Stockholm (1869-1940) ports are available on ArkivDigital. Also, you will find passenger lists for persons leaving from Helsingborg and passport journals (passjournaler) for persons traveling from Norrköping both in and outside of Sweden. You will find these records in the police archives by doing the following:
- Select Archive search
- Select “police archives” under index source
You will find the following entries in the volume list:
- Göteborgs poliskammare (-1900)
- Norrköpings poliskammare. Huvudarkivet Polisen in Helsingborg
- Poliskammaren i Malmö
- Överståthållarämbetet för polisärenden 1 (ÖÄ): Äldre poliskammaren (Stockholm 1869-1904)
- Överståthållarämbetet för polisärenden 2 (ÖÄ): Poliskammaren (Stockholm 1905-1940)
While most of the passenger ship manifests and lists are not name searchable, there are name registers for the following years for passengers leaving from Göteborg: 1871, 1894, 1895 and 1896. Also, there are name registers for persons leaving from Malmö for the years: 1887, 1888, 1892, 1893, 1894 and 1895.
The emigrant registers for Göteborg are listed in alphabetical order both in last name and first name order. Below is the emigrant register for 1871 for Göteborg showing Jöns Svensson age 46 leaving from Unnaryd with the destination of St. Paul departing 9 June 1871 followed by the source code.
Emigrantregister EmiReg:1 (1871-1871) Image 2310 / page 443 (AID: v830632.b2310.s443, NAD: ) Link.
The source code is 5:383:4357. The source code includes: the volume number, page number and contract number. To find the manifest for Jöns, one does the following:
- Return to the volume list in the police archives for Göteborgs poliskammare (-1900)
- Open Volume EIX:5
- Go to page 383
- Look for contract 4357
Below is the manifest for Jöns showing him leaving on the ship, Rollo, traveling to Hull, England on June 9, 1871.
Göteborgs poliskammare (-1900) (O) EIX:5 (1871-1871) Image 1930 / page 383 (AID: v479729.b1930.s383, NAD: SE/GLA/12703) Link.
The format of the source code for Mälmo differs from the source code for Göteborg. Below is the emigrant register for Mälmo for the year 1888 showing Botilla P. Månsdotter age 25 leaving from Backaryd going to Chicago on the 31st of May 1888.
Emigrantregister EmiReg:7 (1887-1888) Image 1030 / page 191 (AID: v830638.b1030.s191, NAD: ) Link.
The source code is 3245: 1930. The format of the source code is entry number and contract number. To find Botilla’s manifest, one does the following:
- Return to the volume list in the police archives for Poliskammaren i Malmö.
- Search for the volume for the year 1888 that includes the entry number 3245.
- The information box will show the ranges of entry numbers for the volume. See below.
- Open the volume and search for entry number 3245. The entry numbers are in numerical order. The contract number is next to the entry number. Below is the manifest.
Poliskammaren i Malmö (M) D3:28 (1888-1888) Image 1150 / page 250 (AID: v449930.b1150.s250, NAD: SE/MSA/00780) Link.
You can find an article, Introduction to Swedish Passenger Ship Manifests, on our website that gives more information about the manifests as well as heading translations.