One common question that one hears from Swedish-Americans new to Swedish records, “Are the records searchable by name?” Today, we can say that increasingly more and more Swedish records such as the church books, estate inventories and other record types are searchable by name. One of ArkivDigital’s primary goals is to make Swedish research easier and one method is name searchable indexes.
Today, we will review the name searchable indexes that are available in ArkivDigital’s All-in-one subscription.
- Household/Congregations Books (Population of Sweden 1860-1947) – All of the household/congregation books for all of Sweden have been indexed by name for the years from 1860 to 1947. For more information, click here.
- Birth, marriage and death book indexes – (Birth index- parts of Sweden, Marriage Index- parts of Sweden, Death index- parts of Sweden) Searchable name indexes for birth, marriage and death books for all of the parishes within Kronoberg county and some parishes in nearby counties, around 60 parishes in Södermanland county as well as Nederluleå parish in Norrbotten county. Most of these indexes are from the earliest times (1600’s) up to the second half of the nineteenth century. The end year varies by parish. For some parishes, the end year is 1920. This is an ongoing project and the goal is to index by name the birth, marriage and death books for all of Sweden. Click here for more information.
Estate Inventories (Inventory of estate)
- Name searchable indexes exist for estate inventories from the following counties: Gotland, Gävleborg, Göteborg och Bohus, Jämtland, Jönköping, Kalmar, Kronoberg, Norrbotten, Stockholm, Uppsala, Värmland, Västerbotten, Västernorrland, Älvsborg and Östergötland. This is an ongoing project. For a complete list of the district and city courts that have been indexed, click here.
Swedish Census Indexes
- ArkivDigital has searchable name indexes for the years 1950, 1960, 1975 and 1985. Click here for additional information.
- Population of Sweden 1950
- Population of Sweden 1960
- Population of Sweden 1975
- Population of Sweden 1985
Military records (Military Service Cards)
- The Military Service Cards index is a name searchable index of all draft registration and service cards for those who served in the Swedish military between 1902 and 1941. Click here for more information.
Swedes in U.S. 1940 Census
- The Swedes in U.S. 1940 Census index includes all the persons in the 1940 U.S. Census who stated that their birth place was Sweden. Click here for more information.
- Portrait Collection – Collection of photographs from three Stockholm photography studios from the 1920’s to 1970’s. Click here for more information.
- Agriculture Census 1944 - Index to 1944 year’s agriculture statistics done by Statistics Sweden (SCB). Click here for more information.
To access the name searchable indexes within ArkivDigital’s All-in-one subscription:
- Access the web version by going to https://app.arkivdigital.se/
- Select “Index Search”.
- Select the desired index under “Index source”.