Many persons who research their family history discover an ancestor who was a soldier. When one finds a soldier ancestor, one wants to find out what additional information one can find out about this person in the military records or primarily the general muster rolls. But where does one look in the muster rolls? Often the church book does not provide any information about which regiment or company the soldier served in.
In order to find an entry point in the general muster rolls, the publication “Statistiskt sammandrag af svenska indelningsverket” or “Statistical Digest of the Swedish Army System” by Claes Lorentz Grill (1817-1907) is a great help. Many researchers refer to this wok as the “Grill”.
“Statistiskt sammandrag af svenska indelningsverket” was produced in four volumes during the years 1855-1858.
- ”Rusthålls-regementene” (1855) – Calvary regiments
- ”Rothålls-regementene” (1856) – Infantry regiments
- ”Båtsmans-kompanierne” (1858) – Navy companies
- ”Extra roteringen” (1857) – Extra districts
In ArkivDigital, you will find the four publications in the archive, “Printed literature”, where the volume names are Grill: 1-4. Also, there is a parish register to the volumes and this is named, “GrillReg: 1”.
For each General Muster Roll archive (Generalmönsterrullor), there is a link to the actual part of the Grill applicable for that regiment. When you select the volume, the text will display the page numbers in the info box where you can find information about this particular regiment as shown in the picture below.
Example on using Grill
Let us assume that we are searching for a soldier who we know from the church records lived in Hinnäs in Stora Malm’s parish.
- Click on advanced search.
- Select archive type and select the printed literature archive.
- Search in the parish register: Tryckt litteratur GrillReg:1 volume.
- Search for Stora Malm and you will see “II 38” which directs us to page 38 in the volume Grill: 2.
- Open the volume for Grill: 2 and go to page 38. There you will discover that Hinnäs in Stora Malm parish belonged to the Södermanland regiment, Livkompaniet and is rote number 3. (See image below.)
Tryckt litteratur Grill:2 (1856-1856) Image 240 / page 39 (AID: v792654.b240.s39, NAD: SE/AD/00001) Link
We now have a starting point where we can begin to search for the soldier in the muster rolls for the Södermanland Regiment.
This article was previously published in the Swedish blog on March 13, 2015. Read the Swedish version.