Have you discovered an orphan in your Swedish ancestry? ArkivDigital has many types of records within its online archive. One set of records are the orphanage records which document the lives of many of these children.
Within ArkivDigital you will find the archives for the following orphanages:
- Allmänna barnhuset (Public Orphanage of Stockholm)
- Amarilitetsbarnhusets i Karlskrona
- Frimurarbarnhuset i Stockholm (Free Mason Orphanage in Stockholm)
- Kronohuset i Malmö – Royal Orphanage in Malmö
- Malmö barnhem (för flickor) – Malmö orphanage for girls
- Malmö barnhuset – Malmö Orphanage
To search for the orphanages within ArkivDigital, do the following:
- Select archive search.
- Select archive type: barnhus (barnhus is Swedish for orphanage).
- Click on search.
Below is a record from the Public Orphanage of Stockholm. It shows that Hedwig Elisabet Fagerström was admitted to the orphanage in October 1807 and her birth date is the 15th of November 1799. She became a foster child of tenant farmer, Simon Nilsson, in Skogen in Åtvid parish, Bankekinds district, Östergötland county.
Click here to read more about the Public Orphanage of Stockholm.