The Swedish estate inventory records provide both genealogical information as well as information that will help you gain a deeper understanding of your ancestor’s life. The estate inventory is divided into two main sections: the ingress or preamble followed by the inventory, a detailed listing of all the assets and debts for the deceased person.
The ingress or the preamble is a key section for the genealogist. This section provides information about the deceased and names the heirs. This section can be helpful in proving family relationships as well as tracing the whereabouts of heirs.
The types of information, that you will usually find in the ingress or preamble include:
- Date the estate inventory was performed
- Deceased’s name and place of residence
- Deceased’s date of death
- Names of heirs
- Names of guardians for children not of legal age and for heirs who may be living in another country
- Names of the married daughters’ spouses
Below is an image of an estate inventory with key items numbered. Following the explanations of the key items are a transcription and an English transcription of the record.
- Date the estate inventory was performed – 15 November 1872
- Place where estate inventory was performed – Esprilla Söregård
- Name of deceased – Wife Sara Larsdotter
- Deceased’s date of death – 1 October (1872)
- Heir – Spouse Widower – Peter Johansson August
- Heir – Son from first marriage – Johan who is probably living in North America
- Son’s guardian – Samuel Nilsson from Esprilla Westregärd
- Heir – Daughter from first marriage – Charlotta
- Daughter’s husband – Corporal J. A. Kron
År 1872 den 15 November blef på begäran Laga boupptekning förrattad Esprilla Söregård efter Hustrun Sara Larsdotter derstädes som alfed den 1 ocktober sistlidene och efter sig lämnat såsom arfvingar sin Kära Maka nu mere Enkomannen Peter Johansson August och med sitt första äktenskap 2ne barn: Sonen Johan, som troligen vistas i Norra America, hvars rätt bevakades af hans gödman Samuel Nilsson i Esprilla Westregård, och Dottern Charlotta gift med Korporalen J.A. Kron i Hökhult Assaregård som var tillstädes. Enkomannen uppmanades, att uppgifva Egondomen såden den vid den aflidens befans, och foretogs i följande ordning:
On the 15th of November an estate inventory was performed at Esprilla Söregård for the deceased wife Sara Larsdotter who died on October 1 and is survived by her dear spouse now widower Peter Johansson August and from her first marriage two children: Johan who is probably living in North America and whose rights are being protected by the trustee Samuel Nilsson from Esprilla Westregård and a daughter, Charlotta, who is married with Corporal J. A. Kron from Hökhult Assaregård who was present. The widower was summoned to account for the estate or property which follows:
Click here to read more about estate inventories.