We have been recently receiving questions about availability of orphanage records within ArkivDigital. It has been a while since we wrote a blog or newsletter about these records. Within ArkivDigital, you will find archives for the following orphanages:
- Allmänna barnhuset (Public Orphanage of Stockholm)
- Amarilitetsbarnhusets i Karlskrona
- Frimurarbarnhuset i Stockholm (Free Mason Orphanage in Stockholm)
- Kronohuset i Malmö – Royal Orphanage in Malmö
- Malmö barnhem (för flickor) – Malmö orphanage for girls
- Malmö barnhuset – Malmö Orphanage
To search for the orphanages within ArkivDigital, do the following:
- Select archive search.
- Select archive type: barnhus (barnhus is Swedish for orphanage).
- Click on search.
Sweden’s largest orphanage was Allmänna barnhuset or the Public Orphanage of Stockholm which was founded in 1633 and active until the 20th century. Many of the children at the Public Orphanage were placed in homes around Sweden and the orphanage records show where they were placed. Below is an image of an orphanage record from the Public Orphanage of Stockholm.
Allmänna barnhuset (A, AB) D2H:27 (1831-1832) Image 240 / Page 2531 (AID: v749581.b240.s2531, NAD: SE/SSA/0809A)
The above record is for Anna Charlotta Göransson born on the 18th of January 1827. Her mother is noted as the deceased widow, Anna Greta Göransson. Anna Charlotta was placed in the home of farmer Pehr Pehrsson at Österfligge in Liden parish in Västernorrland county in 1831.
Click here to read more about the Public Orphanage of Stockholm.