The Public Orphanage of Stockholm (Allmänna barnhuset) records from earliest times to about 1880 are now available in ArkivDigital’s online archive.
You will find many record types in this archive providing information about the children and also about the wet nurses. You can find information about the latter in the volume, ammrulla, or wet nurse records. Many of the children at the Public Orphanage of Stockholm were placed in foster homes throughout Sweden and you can find out where they were placed in these records.
Allmänna barnhuset D2FA:14 (1807-1808) Image 470 / page 6585 (AID: v749518.b470.s6585, NAD: SE/SSA/0809A) Link.
Above is an example of the orphanage record for Johan Fredrik Norberg who was admitted to the orphanage in October 1807 and his birth date is shown as the 15th of August 1801. His record number is 6584. He was placed with the farmer (bonden) Jonas Pehrsson in Brånstorp, Östra Skrukeby parish, Åkerbo härad in Östergotland county. You can locate Johan with the family he was placed with by doing the following:
- Click on search archive.
- Enter Östra Skrukeby in the search window and click search,
- Search for a household records volume that includes the year 1807 in the volume list for Östra Skrukeby.
- Select volume Östra Skrukeby AI:3 Household records (1806-1815).
- Open the book by double clicking the selected volume.
- Search for a place index and look for the place, Brånstorp.
- You will find that the records for Brånstorp begin on page 14.
- Go to page 14 and you will find Johan Fredrik Norberg as shown in the image below.
- You will notice that in front of his name is the notatation, Barnhus B, or orphanage child as shown in the image below. Östra Skrukeby AI:3 (1806-1815) Image 14 / page 14 (AID: v26463.b14.s14, NAD: SE/VALA/00489) Link.
You can read more in Swedish about orphanage records in ArkivDigital’s online archive by clicking here.